Search This Blog

Saturday, December 28, 2019

366 Gigs and over 200,000 people for 2019 - The Shanty Hounds







Last summer someone said that The Shanty Hounds were the busiest band in Key West. When I sat down and thought about it, that was partially true, at least as a band. Frankly, I was breathless! I recalled years ago when living in Miami/Dade and reading an interview with a noted Blues player, stating they would be doing close to 300 gigs that year. I found that both amazing and difficult to take in mentally. “Close to 300 gigs” in a year. Holy smokes!

Now, here I am writing this over a dozen years later and I'm doing over 300 gigs a year. I'm writing this on Christmas Day 2019 and we, The Shanty Hounds, have played 360 gigs this year and we have two gigs tomorrow (Willie T's and The Curry Mansion), a gig on Saturday (The Tipsy Rooster), two gigs on Sunday (Willie T's and Two Friends Patio Restaurant and Bar) and a gig on Tuesday (Rick's) that will leave us at 366 for the year.

It should also be stated that a lot of the single acts here in Key West do more than we do.

While these numbers completely floor me when it was brought to my attention, I stopped and thought about it. Yes, we were doing about 30 gigs a month.

On November 2, 2017 in a letter to my guitar manufacturer Ibanez, I itemized our gigs and calculated that we were playing in front of 3000 people a week. We are doing more this year and I'd say we're at minimum 35% more than 2017. That being the case, we're playing in front of around 4000 people a week or, around 210,000+/- people a year.

So, what do we, The Shanty Hounds, Dani Hoy and Chris Rehm, come to the table with? What do we have to offer? The numbers above speak for themselves.Well, we're different. As far as other performers go, they usually travel around the country in RVs doing shows for people who want to see them. They may very well travel 400-800 miles from gig to gig. We may travel 4 – 8 blocks from gig to gig. Friday's first gig is long distance, eight blocks.

We always bump into friends/fans/supporters of ours. We always do! I know for a fact that several couples are in town at this very moment who will be by to see us! They are fabulous supporters of live music! Some know our style of music, Every week we gain new friends! Many don't know our style/genre. “There's a style of music that is about Key West and the tropics? Wow! Cool!”

We're very grateful for all of our friends, both well established, and new! When not in town, some of our friends tune in and see us on the YouTube stage cams at Willie T's or Two Friends. Thank you folks!!! Now and then we'll go Facebook live and end up with as many as 1,200+ tuning in. THANK YOU!!!


We do meet many, many people who do love our original music! Key West gets everybody! These people come from all walks of life. Accountants, appraisers hair stylists, lawyers, even music professors. Imagine having, not one, but three music professors tell you “Your songs are really excellent!”. For me it's somewhere between being embarrassed and being humbled, and grateful.


But that's what we do. In addition to hanging out with our local and visiting friends, some who didn't know Trop Music existed before they met us, we also introduce new fans to our music. We bring new fans to the genre. At every gig we meet, laugh, and make new friends and they follow our music! 366 Gigs by year's end, an audience of @ 210,000. Dani's has arguably the best female voice in Trop and is a fabulous songwriter to boot! I'll be a Nashville published songwriter for 20 years in 2020, with songs in with people from Junior Brown to Trisha Yearwood, or that we've had several very, very well seasoned people at MOTM come up to us and say on the last night of the event, Saturday evening, and tell us “We've been here all week and we've seen all the top acts. You guys are the best we've seen! You have an energy that no one else approaches”.

I'm pleased with 366 gigs and playing in front of 201,000 this year. I love living in Key West and I'm honored to be here. I love this town and I love what we do here. However, having those experienced MOTM fans say that last sentence, makes it special, acknowledged, and worthwhile:

We've been here all week and we've seen all the top acts. You guys are the best we've seen! You have an energy that no one else approaches”.

Thank you.




I just came out with a new EP entitled “All The Best From Key West”, which was my sign off moniker for the last dozen years or so. You may have seen the previous blog on it? If you missed it and would like to see it, here's the link:


keywestmusic.blogspot.com/2019/12/all-best-from-key-west.html


With this new release I'm taking a different approach. In the past, starting with “Shanghai'd and Marooned in Key West (things could be worse)” in 2011, I'd send it to all of the Trop Rock radio stations and this worked great. The releases received good attention!

In the last couple of years however, the Trop audience has dwindled. Just one example of this is this particular blog. When I first started witing it, up until about a year ago, when I posted it, I would have between 200 and 500 views on the first day. Now? Maybe 75 in a week is avarage. Because of this, I've begun to look outside in order to augment sales, namely to Americana.

Trop Rock is limited in it's outreach/assistance to artists. No knock against it at all, it is what it is and doesn't profess, or strive to be anything that it isn't. There are two publications in the genre, however for what I'm looking for, they are not set up to do.

I wanted a review of the album, but I knew neither do reviews. With Americana I had no trouble whatsoever in getting a review and what a review it was!


Four days after the album was released, it was part of their top ten releases of the year!

So, we're off to a great start. You never know in this business however, so we'll see how the wave continues.






No comments:

Post a Comment