Search This Blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

A Fun Week!


Headed up to the KOA Campground on Sugarloaf Key (MM20) to catch The Dave Aaron Band. The KOA Campground is becoming quite a venue for music. Of course, they've always had music there, however it seems that they are focusing on more high profile events there as of late. Even the Miami Herald has done a piece on their musical explorations. I headed up there with friends Sheila, Mark, and John to catch Dave Aaron's band. Dave is an exceptional Country songwriter, as well as a great player/performer based in Key West and he didn't disappoint. The band was rock solid and in a very, remote way, akin to The Doors, as they use the keyboard doubling up as the bass. The Dave Aaron Band can often also be found in Key West on Saturday nights playing The Bull.

Saw my first Spring Breakers there as well enjoying the jacuzzi.

Miami's (Okay, Coral Gables)Albert Castiglia (say Ka STEEL Ya) was playing The Green Parrot Thursday and Friday. Albert recently earned Blues Song Of The Year from The Blues Foundation for his song "Bad Year Blues", edging out B.B. King, no less. This is the type of talent Key West attracts. Albert, of course, has been known over the years as a true virtuoso blistering guitarist. He originally got his professional start with Junior Wells, no less, back around 1997 or so. A credit to Albert's loyalty, to this day he pays homage to his mentor, at every gig Albert covers some of Junior's material. I've seen Albert for over fifteen years and his playing has never ceased to leave everyone awstruck... and it just keeps getting better and better! The one thing that doesn't get the accolades it deserves, is his voice. Albert's voice is exceptional. Over the years his voice has gone in leaps and bounds, from adequate, to good, to very, good, to great, to exceptional. He's worked hard over the years at it and it's paid off with dividends galore.

I brought some co-workers to the show and everyone was spellbound. He tours all over, so if he's in your area, don't miss him!

On Saturday I was a bit late getting out of the gate. I figured I'd ride over to my favorite outside bar, Schooner Wharf and catch a bit of Michael McCloud. I rode by the Waterfront Market, which is one of Wyland's Whaling Walls and to my surprise there was a black on black Porsche 911 Cabriolet, top down, parked there with Wyland's license plate on it. Never saw Wyland though.

Speaking of Wyland, artist Walfrido was in town from Hawaii, being the artist in residence at Wyland's gallery at 102 Duval. Exceptional artist indeed!

When I got to Schooner's at 2:45, the place was just absolutely packed. To my dismay, McCloud was wrapping things up.. he usually plays to 5pm. Nonetheless, I went in for a beer and sat at the bar. A guy next to me had a Jack Russell Terrier with him all alert and hanging at the bar with us. You've got to love a bar that allows dogs!!!

I didn't stay for the band. The drummer had a set up that looked like a jungle gym, and as good as they might have been, I was in the mood for something acoustic. I went over a block to Lands End to the Key West Bait And Tackle Shop. A well kept secret, here in Key West. No music, but true Olde Key West atmosphere! The burn artist Durf was there and the Bait and Tackle Shop had a brand new picnic table. Durf's often there and he saw it as a brand new canvas and started a burn right there and then. The owner,Chris, was grinning ear to ear! Durf is exceptional! I'll have more on him in a future blog. A couple of ice cold beers and Durf and I headed right next door to the Half Shell Raw Bar for some oysters. A sign over the door read "Sorry, No Pets Allowed" and right below it, inside laying peacefully on the floor, was a relaxing dog, tied to her master's chair at the bar.

I love this town!


Blog Picts A

No comments:

Post a Comment